What You Need to Know
or homeowners and businesses in North Carolina, Duke Energy offers rebates to help offset the cost of installing solar panels. Although the program’s high demand in 2020 contributed to North Carolina’s position as a nationwide leader in solar integration, many residential and business requests were slated for a waiting list due to the limited number of available rebates.
These offerings are available in three separate capacities, including:
- $6,000 maximum for residential customers (60 cents/ watt)
- $50,000 maximum for nonresidential customers (50 cents/watt)
- $75,000 maximum for nonprofit customers (75 cents/watt)
For more precise estimates, Duke Energy offers a calculator directly on their web site.
Two Annual Rebate Periods
In early November 2020, state regulators approved two application periods for individuals, companies, and nonprofits seeking rebates. These application windows will be made available in January and July 2021.
Participants who apply in 2021 are either planning to or have already installed solar panels. For participants with existing solar panels, the installation and bi-directional meter must have been installed after (or on) October 6th, 2020.
In order to apply for a rebate, applicants must complete 3 key steps:
- Interconnection Request Submission – Applicants can apply either by paper or via the Duke Energy website.
- Rebate Application – Within 90 days of system installation, an application must be submitted (and include the project ID).
- Panel Installation – For individuals or entities who have not yet installed their panels, they must do so through a licensed electrician.
Upon completion of the process, applicants are notified via email and can expect to receive their rebate four to five weeks after they begin generating power.
Whether you’re seeking information regarding the $62 million solar rebate program or sustainable living in general, our dedicated team at Circular Design Construction and Real Estate Experts is here to help. As North Carolina’s first 100% net-zero energy community, we are proud advocates of statewide solar energy initiatives.
Interested in building? Get in touch with our dedicated team today by calling (919) 697-5014 or emailing Jodi Bakst at email@example.com.
Thank you for reading, and we look forward to hearing from you!